Thursday, January 29, 2009

In need of a break

I don't know what's worse, the fact that IU men's basketball team lost a game to Northwestern that it easily could have won or that the team lost despite its maximum effort.

At first I was angry when the losses began piling up. Now that I see the team improving and staying competitive, I feel for the players because all the work has not paid off. The last two games, Wednesday's game and a Jan. 25 loss to Minnesota, were miles ahead of where the team was in December, when it last won a game.

Alas, there was plenty of blame to go around for this loss. Devan Dumes committing a foul with 6 second left that allowed Northwestern to take the lead, Verdell Jones committing seven turnovers and the 25 points given up off the team's 22 turnovers. And of course the blown in-bounds play with 5 seconds left.

That game was probably the most complete game I have seen the team play in a long time. They refused to give up, even when down 11 points in the second half, even when Wildcats star Kevin Colbe made unbelievable shots. I just wish the Hoosiers could get a break.

Looking forward, a win could come as early as next week. Saturday's game against Ohio State is probably a loss. But the streak could end Feb. 4 when Iowa comes to Assembly Hall. The Hawkeyes are 2-5 in the conference and IU only lost by 5 in Iowa City. After that game, there may be only one more chance, Feb. 25 against Northwestern.

I just hope they can get a break. If they continue to play hard, they should be able to make a few breaks. I feel like this team has earned a couple wins already. I hope they get what they deserve.

No comments: