Saturday, October 31, 2009

Oh my

I am speechless...

I didn't think it could get worse than last week's loss to Northwestern. Before that I didn't think it could get any worse than the loss to Virgina. And before that I didn't it could get worse than the loss to Michigan.

But apparently it can get worse.

Despite forcing six turnovers, the Hoosiers blew a 10 point lead in the fourth quarter and lost to Iowa 42-24. The IU defense got four turnovers in the third quarter. Yet, they still allowed the Hawkeyes to score two touchdowns on one-play drives in the fourth. It was part of a collapse that included giving up 28 unanswered points in the quarter.

Bill Lynch received the support of Athletic Director Fred Glass earlier this week, with Glass saying he would honor the remainder of Lynch's contract. But I still feel he has to be on the hot seat, at least with the fans an alumni.

This wasn't a last-second loss. This wasn't a loss because of a tough call on the road. This was a flat-out collapse. A big-time choke. It was as if the switch was flipped when the fourth quarter started and IU said it was time to blow it. The final score doesn't even indicate that Iowa trailed for more than three quarters. The Hoosiers were outscored 35-3 in the second half.

I am just a fan and I don't much about football. But I can't see how there is any reason this should have happened. This game was shaping up as the greatest IU football win in more than 40 years. Instead it's just another embarrassing loss. Are the Hoosiers just the most unlucky college football team ever? There's no way Iowa is that lucky.

As I said, I am speechless.

No comments: