Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Greatest Super Bowl Ever Played

The Steelers won their sixth Super Bowl, 27-23, in what arguably was the greatest Super Bowl ever played.

Ben Roethlisberger cemented his place as the best big-game quarterback in the NFL, leading the team on the game winning drive with about 2 minutes to go. It came after the Cardinals went on their own touchdown drive to take the lead.

The Cardinals offense came alive in the fourth quarter, scoring two touchdowns and a safety to go ahead 23-20. But Big Ben hit Santonio Holmes four times on the final drive, including a spectacular catch in the corner of the end zone for the gaming-winning touchdown. After forcing a Kurt Warner fumble, the game was secured.

I was ready to drop over when the Cardinals took the lead. I couldn't believe a game the Steelers dominated for three and a half quarters was slipping away. Even when the winning drive began I wasn't optimistic. I was getting consoling text messages. But Big Ben gave me hope once again.

The Steelers have six championships now, the most of any NFL franchise. Congrats the Holmes, the MVP, Coach Mike Tomlin, Big Ben and the rest of the team. They deserve it.

I'm still flying high. I don't know how I'm going to be able to watch an hour-long episode of The Office.

Note: The Coke commercial with Troy Polamalu was pretty good. Surprisingly, the Cash4Gold ad also was kind of funny, which included an appearance by Hammer. I still liked the Doritos snow globe commercial the best.

No comments: