Sunday, July 22, 2007

Should I be wild about Harry?

The Harry Potter era ended with the release of the final book Saturday morning. Here is the infamous New York Times review of the book, which ran Thursday, breaking an embargo requested by the publisher. Was it right for the paper to release its review of the eagerly-anticipated book early? Embargos are a difficult issue. Sometimes they are necessary, and with all the hype surrounding this book, this one may be justified. But as for fans feeling cheated because elements of the story were revealed before the book was released, I have no sympathy. There is a simple fix to that problem...don't read the review.

Disclosure: I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, but yesterday I purchased book one. It is on my list to read after I finish Angels and Demons.

No comments: